Alkoomi are pleased to continue their annual pledge to the Lighthouse Charity in the UK, who provide support to constructions workers and their families through periods of great stress in their lives.
Although the industry can be hugely rewarding it also carries considerable risk and research has shown that the mental health of our workforce is not good. 20% of all work-related illness in construction is attributed to stress, anxiety or depression and that’s the ones we know about. Every working day 2 construction workers take their own life.
The lighthouse charity has a new campaign: Help Inside the Hard Hat. Each poster shows a thought provoking quote to help individuals think about their work mates and how they might be struggling, and to signpost them to the helpline for help inside the hard hat.
To help spread the message, there are a number of posters for print and email as well as hoardings to display around work sites which you can access here: Help Inside the Hard Hat.
Those working in the industry, as well as their families, can contact the Construction Industry Helpline and will be able to call the 24/7 confidential Construction Industry Helpline on UK 0345 605 1956 or ROI 1800 939 122 to access:
- Emergency financial aid in times of crisis following an illness, accident, injury or bereavement that forces a family into a state of poverty
- Advice on occupational health and wellbeing issues as an employee or an employer
- Support and advice for sufferers of stress and addiction-related illnesses
- Advice on matters ranging from divorce to employment
- Advice on specific tax-related issues concerning employment within the construction sector
- Help to manage and reschedule debt
- Help to understand the benefits system and your entitlement, especially if you are caring for others
- Support on career changes, especially after accident or injury preventing you from returning to your original job